If you are a homeowner, or you are buying your own home, one of the main types of insurance coverage you should consider is Buildings and Contents insurance. We take a quick look at what is covered in this guide.

If you are renting, your landlord should have the building covered, but you will be responsible for the contents.

Buildings Insurance

Buildings insurance exists to cover the structure of the building itself. The building is defined by what you couldn’t take with you if you decided to move home.

This is a quick list of what you can expect to be covered by buildings insurance. Please note, some policies may be more limited and some may be more expansive.

  • Walls, ceilings, and the roof
  • Permanent fixtures and fittings within the house
  • Decoration within the house
  • Gates, fences, and footpaths that all lie within the boundaries of your property
  • Pipes and cables

Contents Insurance

Contents insurance generally covers the things in your house that you could take with you if you were to move;

  • Household goods such as cookers and fridges
  • Furniture and furnishings such as beds, sofas, and carpets
  • Valuables such as jewellery and works of art
  • Personal belongings such as clothes and shoes


Standard policies will usually cover loss or damage due to:

  • Fire, aircraft, lightning, explosion, or earthquake
  • Theft (or attempted theft)
  • Riots or vandalism
  • Storms or flooding
  • Subsidence, heave, and landslip
  • Falling trees
  • Impact eg. a car runs into your house
  • Escaping or leaking water or oil
  • Your liability as occupier of the house


We have experienced, qualified insurance experts available to offer you free, impartial insurance advice.

Call our office on 01292 317214 or email